TCW's "100 Women Making a Difference"
And one woman making news, news, news, from press to podcasts. I’ve written 10,000+ press releases, media advisories and PSAs garnering prominent media coverage for 100+ organizations, artists and festivals, plus seminal series from DC’s WETA TV, the third largest public broadcasting station, including Ken Burns’ The Civil War and In Performance at the White House. PBS Advertising and Promotion Award for the pregnancy series Nine Months.
Partnerships, Promotions, Branding, Events, Talent
- Devised, supervised 75+ institutional partnerships, cross-promotional exchanges, events including Drury Lane Water Tower Place opening
- Facilitated and implemented 50+ mission and branding initiatives, photo shoots, trade shows, with Chicago Children’s Museum, Chicago Public Library, Notebaert Nature Museum, related book publishers, and more
- Talent wrangling for Joan Allen, Brian Dennehy, Victor Garber, Bill Irwin, John C. Reilly, Molly Shannon, Emma Thompson, Vince Vaughn, Zoë Wanamaker, to name a few
- The Book: An Actor’s Guide to Chicago, “Developing A Pitch” chapter
- Chicagoplays, “Picture This: The Poster’s the Thing“
- Chicago Artists Coalition/Resource, “Theaters: Get the Word Out”
- Chicago Artists Coalition/Resource, “Parsimonious and Prudent Public Relations”
- AMPlify for the Arts Management Project, “Marketing: Mind for Minutiae”
Interviews, Lectures, Panels
- Chicago Public Radio, “Theater Public Relations and Marketing”
- Community Media Workshop (now Public Narrative), “Arts Promotion Toolkit” and “Making Media Connections”
- San José State University, School of Journalism/Mass Comm, arts PR lectures
- DePaul University, “Careers in Public Relations & Advertising”
- Roosevelt University, annual fall “Theatre PR” lecture
- North Park University, media writing lectures
- James Madison University, “Theatre and Public Relations”
- Fernwork Arts Incubator, “PR for the Arts” and “How to Talk About Your Work”
- Arts Management Project at the Athenaeum, “Critics Choice: Developing Media Relationships That Get You Covered” and “Marketing Tips You Can Use”
- Collaboraction, “Gender Breakdown”
Photographer: Fishbone, Bad Brains and Mike D at Riot Fest
Public Relations & Marketing Testimonials
"You have been an amazingly patient and resourceful publicist."
"You efficiently serve your clients and help me do my job by always being on top of things."
"Karin was instrumental to the success of Monticello: A Play in Three Parts. With limited budget and limited time, she generated significant positive coverage for the show and exceeded our expectations at every turn. Karin knows Chicago theater inside and out, and would be a great partner for any production that needs to get a media boost and get people to the show. She'll be available 24/7 and provide you with great insight into the business."
"Without hesitation and with great passion, Karin McKie jumped to our aid when we needed quick special events press releases and media relations. And when I say, 'jumped to our aid,' I mean 'overnight.' She completely saved us. Her PR experience generated compelling collateral, a well-researched contact list, and invaluable advice. She was so enthusiastic and thorough we garnered unprecedented print and electronic coverage that benefited our community, and we now always give her name out for PR. We are grateful for Karin’s willingness to share her time and expertise. Hire her!"
"You do such a good job. So thorough, so easy to get through."