Online Tutoring with a Distance Learning Specialist
**EDUCATION IN THE TIME OF COVID: The novel coronavirus has disrupted business as usual for the foreseeable future. I’ve taught online for years, and look forward to helping you, your family and your community navigate these new educational challenges. Please download the free sample of my book to help at-home learning, and contact me with homeschooling questions. Be healthy and stay safe.**
I’m an MFA educator and curriculum creator for all types of learners, and an educational consultant:
Test Prep in the Time of COVID – “Learners have space to take and score full practice tests to establish a baseline, as well as a diagnostic to take deep dives into areas of concern,” McKie said. “Now we have the time and space to relieve boredom with targeted study.” Business Insider, May 5, 2020
Classroom discipline – “It helps when there is clarity about no phones in the classroom or telling [students] you have to check your phone at the front door,” says Karin McKie, an independent educational consultant in Chicago. “If that comes from above, then we are all on the same page. There is always a lot of emotion attached to enforcing rules, so if the rule is clear and non-emotional it’s a lot easier for the teacher to enforce that rule.” Teach Magazine, Jan/Feb 2020 (p. 29)
Let me be what The Atlantic calls your “great teacher.”
- I tutor ACT, SAT, GRE, AP, HSTP, ISEE & ASVAB test prep, school placement tests, as well as Common Application plus other school and college essay writing.
- I teach creative writing, critical reading, comparative literature, language use, Shakespeare, public speaking, theater & improvisation, team building, PR & marketing, also ESL and spectrum learners.
- With test prep students, I share a proprietary reading comprehension technique, applicable to all English and STEM topics. Learn how to annotate and summarize for maximum comprehension and retention.
- Writing students are coached to brainstorm and develop narratives for the Common Application and other scholastic essays, to communicate compelling stories for college admissions readers.
- All students develop holistic skills that transfer into school and college class excellence, as well as into successful careers, plus increased reading comprehension skills.
- Together, we’ll customize study plans with learners and their advocates to utilize existing abilities and add new techniques to reach personal and scholastic goals, and achieve measurable results.
Let’s build a tutoring package, from one session or essay edit, to a customized longer series.For test prep, recommended 2-hour sessions, once or twice a week, for 2-3 months.
- Discounts are offered for booking five or more sessions.
- Payment is required before each session via cash, check or Zelle.
- A deposit of $75 is added to each over-five package, to be refunded after the final session.
- Cancelations are requested 48 hours in advance so that the time can be offered to other students.
- Cancelations under 24 hours, unless due to emergency, will be charged half price of scheduled session.
SAT vs. ACT? Take both and decide, plus see what your dream schools require, which might include SAT Subject Tests. Explore superscoring. Work some SAT sample math problems, and ACT English, reading, math and science problems to identify target areas. Study flashcards. Review homophones. Read an article a day and use these NY Times Learning Network Resources. See what essays are required for admission. Demonstrate interest in your preferred schools. Seek inclusive education.
Sydney’s SAT score increased 230 points after tutoring with Karin.