Online Tutoring with a Distance Learning Specialist
Download a free book sample to support your at-home learning.
I’m an MFA educator and curriculum creator for all types of learners, and an educational consultant:
Test Prep in the Time of COVID – “Learners have space to take and score full practice tests to establish a baseline, as well as a diagnostic to take deep dives into areas of concern,” McKie said. “Now we have the time and space to relieve boredom with targeted study.” Business Insider, May 5, 2020
Classroom discipline – “It helps when there is clarity about no phones in the classroom or telling [students] you have to check your phone at the front door,” says Karin McKie, an independent educational consultant in Chicago. “If that comes from above, then we are all on the same page. There is always a lot of emotion attached to enforcing rules, so if the rule is clear and non-emotional it’s a lot easier for the teacher to enforce that rule.” Teach Magazine, Jan/Feb 2020 (p. 29)
Let me be what The Atlantic calls your “great teacher.”
- I tutor ACT, SAT, GRE, AP, HSTP, ISEE & ASVAB test prep, school placement tests, as well as Common Application plus other school and college essay writing.
- I teach creative writing, critical reading, comparative literature, language use, Shakespeare, public speaking, theater & improvisation, team building, PR & marketing, also ESL and spectrum learners.
- With test prep students, I share a proprietary reading comprehension technique, applicable to all English and STEM topics. Learn how to annotate and summarize for maximum comprehension and retention.
- Writing students are coached to brainstorm and develop narratives for the Common Application and other scholastic essays, to communicate compelling stories for college admissions readers.
- All students develop holistic skills that transfer into school and college class excellence, as well as into successful careers, plus increased reading comprehension skills.
- Together, we’ll customize study plans with learners and their advocates to utilize existing abilities and add new techniques to reach personal and scholastic goals, and achieve measurable results.
Let’s build a tutoring package, from one session or essay edit to a customized longer series. For test prep, 2-hour sessions, once or twice a week, for 2-3 months, is recommended.
- PDF workbooks, practice tests and resource materials provided via Kami.
- College application essay assistance also offered.
- Discounts are offered for booking five or more sessions.
- Payment is required before each session via Venmo, Zelle or PayPal.
- Cancelations are required 48 hours in advance, or a fee is assessed.
SAT vs. ACT? Take both and decide, plus see what your dream schools require. (¡The SAT no longer requires an essay or Subject Tests!) Explore superscoring. Work some SAT sample math problems, and ACT English, reading, math and science problems to identify target areas. Study flashcards. Review homophones. Read an article a day and use these NY Times Learning Network Resources. See what essays are required for admission. Demonstrate interest in your preferred schools. Seek inclusive education.
Sydney’s SAT score increased 230 points after tutoring with Karin.